PRODUCT Function Summary
Function Type: Math
Google Sheets PRODUCT function returns the result of multiplying a series of numbers together. The product function accepts number values, cell references, arrays, and constants, in any combination.
PRODUCT Function Purpose
Multiply the values of the specified cells, numbers, ranges, or any combination.
Elements of the function
- Function Name.
- factor1 – [Required] The first number, range, or cell to be multiplied.
- factor2,… – [Optional] Additional numbers, ranges, or cells to be summed.
Arguments of the function
The PRODUCT function will multiply all numerical values specified.
Samples of the Product function
- PRODUCT will ignore cells containing text.
- Google Sheets PRODUCT function is specified as taking a maximum of 30 arguments, Google Sheets supports an arbitrary amount. Performance becomes an issue, but we have put this limit to the test and have exceeded 10,000 arguments before. A more common limiting factor is “Your input contains more than the maximum of 50,000 characters in a single cell.”
- If only factor1 is specified in the function, PRODUCT will return factor1.
PRODUCT Example Spreadsheet
|Control (Ctrl) + Shift (⇧) + Arrow||Command (⌘) + Shift (⇧) + Arrow|
|Purpose: Highlight all cells in a column||Purpose: Highlight all cells in a column or row|
SUM: Returns the sum of a series of numbers and/or cells.
QUOTIENT: Returns one number divided by another, without the remainder.
MULTIPLY: Returns the product of two numbers. Equivalent to the `*` operator.
MINUS: Returns the difference of two numbers. Equivalent to the `-` operator.
DIVIDE: Returns one number divided by another. Equivalent to the `/` operator.